Sunday, August 21, 2011

Welcome to Odyssey of a New Writer

Hi, and thanks for visiting my blog. I am a 23 year old who has decided to take a stab at writing an epic fantasy series, and here I will record my journey as I learn the ins and outs of fiction writing. I will detail the creative process, including the plotting and characterization of my first novel. Additionally, I will share some of the writing tips I pick up from the writing books I am reading.

I do not have much creative writing experience, but I have written more academic papers over the years than you could cram into a landfill. However, I have always had an extremely active imagination with tons of really detailed ideas. I’ve always been too nervous to write them down, because I was irrationally afraid that someone would find it and think it was stupid or naive. So, I never wrote any of it down.

Recently, though, I have gone through a few life changes that have inspired me to not care what other people think and to just go for it. After a few weeks of planning and writing, I have most of the story plotted out, and I’ve the first draft of the beginning two and a half chapters.

Here is a synopsis of what I have mapped out for the story:

An adopted boy named Liam, who was born with magic, must confront his birth father, the tyrannical King of a society that detests magic. Liam survived the streets by stealing from the rich. He must use his focus and intelligence to learn to properly control his magical abilities while avoiding all the groups of people who would like to see those like him dead.

I’ll not share anymore now, since I do not want to give too much away at this juncture. I’ll let on to more details as they become necessary to make this blog make sense.

So, welcome, and please enjoy and comment on my posts.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your odyssey! It will be fun to follow your progress...good luck! Janet

    ReplyDelete